Superb surroundings and stunning views
From the start of its construction in 1797 right through to the present day, Pennsylvania Castle has been a byword for class, elegance and style. Started by John Penn, grandson of the founder of the US state of Pennsylvania, and designed by James Wyatt, the neo-Gothic architecture has enchanted people over the generations and attracted royalty, film makers and celebrities to enjoy the luxurious grandeur on offer. And now it is available for you for that special occasion, whether it is a wedding, an anniversary or a family gathering.
Outstanding gardens and grounds
The landscaped gardens and terraces are set against the backdrop of the beautiful English Channel, with its many changing moods. The individually landscaped pathways and terraces offer opportunities for outdoor entertaining.
There are low-lying hedges, sweeping lawns, the English garden, full of charm, the magnificent Italian garden, a stunning waterfall and a tranquil Japanese tea house. And there is parking for 20 cars as well as a helipad.
A castle with views that will take your breath away
Grand and luxurious
A little taste of luxury
Inside, the reception hall leads into the sophisticated drawing room with its opulent chandelier and generous windows that both let in the light and look out on the views. The drawing room, with its large bay windows looking out on the sea, can accommodate ten diners in the luxurious surroundings but if you want space for more, we can provide dining for up to 60 guests, or 100 guests in the summer months in the Orangery, perfect for an exclusive wedding.
The library has sofa seating for eight and, with great views and light streaming in through the windows, it is an ideal environment to while away an hour or two in cosy chat, or simply reading your favourite author. For an intimate meal you can choose to dine in the conservatory with its large double doors providing perfect sea views. The study has luxury seating for five and a large TV with Sky HD. There is also a magnificent indoor swimming pool and Orangery.
Bedrooms with comfort, views…
Upstairs, there are nine fantastic en suite bedrooms over two floors. Each room is as carefully finished and as individual as the last. With views over the beautiful gardens and out to the sea, the house is a haven of tranquility. The combination of fresh sea air, plush Egyptian cotton bed linen and superb mattresses mean you’re likely to enjoy one of the best night’s sleeps of your life!
Eat in or eat out
The choices are all down to you
If you choose to eat in, we’re here to help. The large kitchen (complete with chandelier!) is equipped with everything you need for your culinary masterpiece. But if slaving over a hot stove is not your idea of a holiday, we have a host of catering options to choose from. So you can choose to stay on a fully catered basis with your own private chef and staff for the duration of your stay. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between can be catered for. Or you might just want catering for one special meal for an important occasion. If so, your chef and staff will arrive and discreetly set up all they need to, to make it a meal to remember.
Or home cooked meals can be left at the Castle for you – complete with serving instructions, with timings and temperatures for those items that need popping in the oven. With total flexibility, the choice is yours.
If you’d rather pop down the road for a meal, then there are loads of options. We like The Crab House Café, The Cove House Inn, The Blue Fish Café and Restaurant and The Boat that Rocks down at the marina. But really, the choice is yours. You can drive, take a taxi or hire our mini bus. And we can provide a chauffeur too.
Out and about
Explore this magnificent area
Portland is famous for its stone, used to build Buckingham Palace and St Paul’s Cathedral, and that’s just for starters! The Tout Quarry is open to the public and is well worth a visit. In comparison with the gentle hills that cover rest of the county of Dorset, Portland Bill is craggy and wild, and quite magnificent. Visit the lighthouse (if you don’t mind steep steps) to experience the magnificent view along the famous Jurassic coast, or take a walk on one of the many paths in the area that allow you to really appreciate the scenery and take in the sea air. A visit to the world famous Chesil Beach is a must, of course, and we recommend a visit to the Swannery. For the more active, there are all sorts of water sports: from diving to windsailing and sea angling to kite surfing. We can arrange boat hire for you if sailing is your thing. Or you can always stay dry and hire a bike!
And after that you can swim in the pool (October to March only), relax by the fire, or we can arrange for your own spa treatment in the luxury of the castle.
Prices and availability
Pennsylvania Castle is available for private hire on an exclusive basis.
Prices below include VAT and are based on a residential stay; wedding rates are available by calling us on 0845 643 1352.
|2 nights||3 nights||4 nights||5 nights||6 nights||7 nights|
- The indoor heated swimming pool is only available between October and March on confirmation from the owners.
- This property requires a security deposit of £1000 per booking which will be collected 7 days prior to arrival and refunded, subject to no receipt of a damage claim, 7 days after departure of the property.
How to book:
Included in your rental price:
- Welcome pack of locally sourced cake, milk, tea, coffee etc.
- Case of wine
- Bed linen and bath towels
- Use of fluffy white dressing gowns and slippers
The following services are available on request for which there will be an additional charge:
- Catering – the chef can provide a drop off meal and deli service
- Full housekeeping services
- Beauty treatments
- Speak to us about providing a full wedding service
How to book:
- GROUND FLOOR:
- Reception hall
- Drawing room
- Dining room
- Sitting room
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- Various domestic offices including utility, butler’s pantry and wine store
- Magnificent indoor swimming pool
- FIRST FLOOR:
- BEDROOM 1 – Orpheus – king-size bed and freestanding handmade bath – placed inside the room itself. This is the master bedroom in the turret of the Castle with stunning sea views
- BEDROOM 2 – Raffles – Super king-size bed, marble bathroom and views overlooking the main entrance and upper gardens
- BEDROOM 3 – Half Moon – king-size bed with views over the upper gardens and helipad
- BEDROOM 4 – Cape Schanck – Super king-size bed, freestanding bath. Double aspect windows with lovely views of the sea and garden
- BEDROOM 5 – Lamaros – King-size four-poster double bed, with views over the upper garden and helipad
- BEDROOM 6 – Royal – king-size double bed with beautiful views over the Italian garden and out to sea
- BEDROOM 7 – Botanical – king-size bed plus additional super-king or two singles, making this an ideal family room, sleeping up to four people. A very light and spacious room with views over the Italian garden and courtyard
- MEZZANINE FLOOR:
- BEDROOM 8 – Print Hall – Two large twin beds, with an adjacent en-suite with a bath
- BEDROOM 9 – Margaret River – Two plus-size twin beds