10 OF OUR BEST PET-FRIENDLY COUNTRY HOUSES TO RENT
When you are booking a large country house to rent for a gathering of your favourite people, there’s no need to leave the dog out. Country houses and dogs go together like breakfast tea and the morning papers. Just think back to our late Queen who, whether at Buckingham Palace, Sandringham or Balmoral, was rarely pictured without her beloved corgis.
With that in mind, here’s our pick of pet-friendly country houses, where you know the dogs will be welcome and have lots of outdoor spaces to explore.
1. You can bring up to two well-behaved dogs with you to Mereview Manor, a stunning lakeside Georgian house in Cumbria. The dogs are allowed in the boot room and kitchen, which sounds restrictive until you see these fabulous rooms. Outside, there are 12 acres of private land in a further 5,000-acre estate to explore.
2. The pure Scottish air and 450 acres of woodland and fields at Yew Tree House, on the edge of the Trossachs, is the perfect playground for your four-legged friends. You can follow long daytime walks exploring this unspoilt landscape with a soothing soak in the hot tub while the dog sleeps in the afternoon shade.
3. Bring up to two dogs to Haygrass House when you stay at this luxury country manor in Somerset. They will love the gardens, with mature trees, a 10-acre orchard, and full size football pitch where they get in everybody’s way as you go for goal.
4. Loch Tay Lodge is a pet-friendly Victorian hunting lodge with mountain and loch views. The rugged Scottish countryside is perfect for long and satisfying dog walks. For a late evening meander, take the dog through the delightful woodlands in the grounds, or down to the edge of the loch.
5. Pets are welcome at Rippon Hall, although you must keep them on a lead outside, as there is livestock in the fields surrounding the property. The Norfolk countryside in which Rippon Hall sits offers picturesque walks and you can enjoy the views while the dog reads the landscape at ground level – everybody’s happy!
6. With a warm welcome for children, dogs and everyone else, Beckstone Manor is set within a 450-acre estate in the Lake District. A 10-minute morning dog walk up to the viewpoint on Brant Fell rewards you with stunning Lakeland views and there are many more walks direct from your doorstep. It’s a genuine welcome for your furry friends with dog beds, dog towels and dog treats provided.
7. Situated in six acres of rolling Dorset countryside, Woodleaves House is a great base for dog walks in the surrounding area and beach days just 20 miles away. Two well behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement.
8. Colnebrook Hall is a fabulous 10-bedroom Queen Anne property in Essex. Set in 200 acres, it offers plenty of space to roam with the dog and discover woodlands, wild spaces and a lake. Keep the dog on the lead because you’ll also be meeting the rare Hebridean sheep that graze the lands.
9. A characterful country house that was once a pub, Horseshoe House near Bath welcomes up to three dogs. There’s plenty for everyone to do, with a games room, a bar and an outdoor hot tub, and the walks in the surrounding countryside will delight the dog.
10. The Wholehouse is for family holidays, and family includes the dog. This colourful and cosy country house in Bannau Brycheiniog (the Brecon Beacons) sits in four acres of secluded gardens with far-reaching views, and there are plenty of bracing dog walks right on your doorstep. Up to two dogs are welcome and dog beds are provided.
This is a selection of our favourites, but we have many more pet-friendly large country houses for rent. In most of our houses, up to two dogs are welcome and they should be kept downstairs and not be allowed onto the furniture. Some houses charge extra for dogs and this is typically £50 per dog, but can vary. Please check the details for the house you choose.
So now, you can ALL go on holiday, including the dog, who will be instantly at home in one of our country houses for rent. If you need any help selecting your perfect pet-friendly country house, just give us a call on 01242 352 747 and we’ll help you to choose.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Be inspired with our latest houses and ideas