Our top 10 most secluded country houses to rent
Looking for a bolt hole, far from the madding crowd, where you can gather your clan for a memorable break? Take a look at our top 10 secluded country houses, all in amazing locations and off the beaten track.
1. High Peak Manor is a country house that thinks it’s a castle. With 11 opulent bedrooms and no fewer than four separate lounges, this former hunting lodge has an enviable location with spectacular views across Kinder Scout in Derbyshire. Stay here and the wide open spaces of the Peak District are your holiday playground.
2. Hidden deep in the Wessex Downs in Oxfordshire, Wantage Manor exudes a peaceful air. It’s hard to believe this gorgeous manor house, on a 30-acre private estate, is just 75 minutes from London.
3. Worcestershire’s Teme Valley is an undiscovered paradise of fields, woodland and rolling green hills, and in its midst sits Tall Trees. This elegant Georgian residence feels a hundred miles from the bustle of city life, and enjoys far reaching views to the Malvern and Clee Hills.
4. Hidden amongst the rolling Somerset hills, just nine miles from the Jurassic Coast, is Winsham Manor. This beautiful, historic manor house sits within five private acres, with ancient trees, landscaped gardens and a delightful summerhouse.
5. Rippon Hall in Norfolk has everything you need to escape from the world. A Sonos sound system and a piano provide the musical backdrop, and you can play billiards, splash in the outdoor swimming pool, wander through the walled garden or gaze at the stars from the hot tub.
6. Opt for quiet seclusion with fantastic views at the Malvern Lakehouse. At this luxurious six-bedroom holiday home, enjoy exploring the 11 acres separating you from the world outside. Play tennis, enjoy afternoons of peaceful fishing on the well-stocked lake or soak up the view of the Malvern Hills from your hot tub.
7. What could be more secluded than a 6,000-acre moorland estate? It’s yours to explore at Barlemoor House in North Devon. Within the estate you can go fishing, wild swimming and wildlife watching before returning to the house for summer barbecues or cosy evenings in front of the open fire.
8. In neighbouring Somerset, Green’s Hill House is as spacious as a manor house and as cosy as a cottage. With panoramic views of the Quantock Hills, best enjoyed from the 10-person hot tub, this is seclusion that connects you to the landscape.
9. Escape to Herefordshire and Merbach Hill House, where the Wye Valley, Offa’s Dyke and the nearby Black Mountains keep the world at bay. This lovingly restored and extended 17th century farmhouse is perfect for family reunions or corporate getaways. Without leaving the grounds, fill your days with activities we can arrange for you, from spa treatments, life drawing classes and Pilates to botanical gin-making, murder mystery evenings and walks with hawks.
10. Sheltered by mature trees, with lawns that sweep down to the trout lake and bedroom views of the Preseli Hills, Madoc Manor in Pembrokeshire is a secluded haven for a gathering of friends or family. A smart bar, cosy snug and many other socialising spaces mean you can enjoy each other’s company, far from the outside world.
Have you spotted your perfect escape in the list above? If so, check it’s available for your dates and book your secluded country house today. If you need more inspiration, have a look at all our country houses for rent or get in touch on 01242 352 747 and we’ll help you find the hideaway you're looking for.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Be inspired with our latest houses and ideas